Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Baby watch: 32 weeks

I had an appointment with my midwife today. Good news is the baby has been kicking me so much that I know everything is ok :) HE or she...is already working his or her little self down. I have some little feets shoved up under my ribs and get kicks frequently to remind me.

Not so good news...I have pregnancy carpal tunnel syndrome and my glucose levels are too high. So what does this all mean? The carpal tunnel is in large part due to my fluid retention, I'm basically a giant water balloon. It causes me to have achy joints primarily in my fingers and hips and wakes me up at night. Throughout the day it doesn't bother me as much because I am moving around and the fluid doesn't build up as much. It will go away after birth, as for now there is nothing I can do about it except drink parsley tea to rid my body of excess fluids.

As for the high glucose levels. I took the one hour glucose tolerance test on Monday. That consisted of drinking a highly concentrated glucola drink (mine was lemon-lime) then waiting an hour and having my blood drawn. The test results tell how well or not well your body is metabolising glucose. Apparently I didn't do so well. I now have to take another glucose panel. This one will consist of fasting for 10 hours, I will then have my blood drawn, drink the ever so pleasant glucola and have my blood drawn every hour for the following 3 hours. Sounds fun huh?  Then we will know for sure if I do in fact have gestational diabetes. Luckily like the carpal tunnel it does go away. However, women who are affected by it are often a higher risk for diabetes later in life. Gestational diabetes occurs in only 4% of pregnancies. One of the biggest concerns for gestational diabetes is excess growth of the baby. Too big of a baby often results in a Cesarean. Since we are planning an all natural birth that makes me a little uneasy :/ However I do find comfort in knowing that God is in control and things go by His plans not my own.

"A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world."
~ John 16:21

No comments:

Post a Comment